I know I post fairly often about tips on how to make your home more sell-able, meaning how to make it appeal to potential buyers. If you are planning on putting your home up for sale in the sprint market, now is when you need to get prepared. Here are 7 things to keep in mind when you are getting ready to put your home up for sale.
- Keep it neutral – if you plan to paint and/or carpet, use neutral colors. If your home has lots of wild colors, you may want to repaint in neutral tones.
- Clear out – take furniture out of crowded rooms, clothes and boxes out of stuffed closets to give your home a roomier feeling. Rent a storage pod, load it up and haul it away. Whatever you do, don’t just move it to the garage or basement! Buyers want to see room in those areas too!
- Remove odors – keep the air neutral, no bacon on the grill, cat litter box or other strong scents. On the other hand, don’t overdo it with air freshener as buyers will wonder what you are covering up.
- Pay attention to small things – replace burnt out light bulbs, if a knob is missing put a new one on. You have learned to live with these small things but buyers will see them and fee that you have not been caring for your home as you should.
- Don’t be personal – take down photos of you and the family, buyers don’t need to know you, put your mail away, hang up your clothes, put laundry in the basket and don’t leave a mess in the kitchen or the bathrooms!
- Repair – if you know items are in need of repair, do the repairs before you put your home on the market. At the very latest the buyers will find out about what needs fixing at their inspection and you will most likely have to repair things before closing anyway.
- First impression – the first impression is so important which means make sure the exterior of your home and the yard are in top condition. What will buyers see when they pull up to your home? They should not see peeling paint, long grass or snow on the sidewalk. Make sure the path to the front door is free and clear of debris and is looking good!