Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber mined from the earth. It is heat and chemical resistant, and is easily formed into just about any shape or product. It was used in more than 3,000 different construction materials and manufactured products, including many found in homes.
When disturbed, asbestos breaks down into very small fibers up to 1,200 times thinner than a human hair. These tiny fibers easily become airborne and when inhaled, they can travel deep into the lungs and become trapped in lung tissue. Once trapped, these fibers can cause mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis. There’s no known safe level of asbestos exposure, and medical research indicates these fibers can cause severe lung diseases and cancer in 10 to 30 years after the initial asbestos exposure.
This is why it’s important to identify asbestos-containing materials in your home so you can protect your health as well as your family’s. For more information visit this Minnesota Health Department site http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/asbestos/homeowner/index.html. This site will assist you with issues such as where asbestos may be located in your home, finding a licensed asbestos contractor to safely remove asbestos and the health effects of asbestos.