Honestly, unless you are independently wealthy, you need to save as much money as you can if you want to buy a house. There are many reasons for wanting as much money saved as possible.
- If you make a bigger down payment your mortgage payments will be lower.
- Depending on the type of financing your will have, you have to have a certain down payment amount to get the mortgage in the first place.
- Many homes are in multiple offers these days and having a larger down payment may help your offer get the home.
- Once you own a home you will have other expenses for upkeep, repairs, and things you may just want for the house.
You don’t think you can save any money.
- Fact is, most people can find a way to save if they want to. If your income is really too low to save, then you may want to wait to buy a house.
- Cut out some of your extra activities like eating out or shopping.
- Skip your vacation this year and bank the money you would have spent.
- Put off buying a new car unless you really have no choice.
- Spend more time with your friends that tend to be more frugal rather than your big spender friends.
- Create a budget with a savings plan and stick to it, no exceptions!
- At first it may seem like a sacrifice, but if you really want your own home, cutting back for a time will pay off big in the end!